Peer Leader Job Description
Please note that the positions below are limited to Undergraduate Students Only.
Requirements for ALL positions (Tutor and Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leader, Group Facilitator, Study Skills Coach):
- Minimum Cumulative GPA of 3.5
- Must have earned a minimum of B+ in any supported course
- At least one semester of attendance in Wayne State University
- 2-semester commitment from the time of hire
- Demonstrate effective learning and study habits
- Familiar with campus resources
- Participate in a screening interview
- Participate in mandatory training prior to the start of the position and ongoing professional development meetings
- Initial Training Schedule: typically the week before the first week of classes
Additional Requirements for SI Leader:
- Attend all lecture sessions for the supported course.
- Hold weekly SI sessions and possibly 1 office hour.
- Prepare material and activities for each session.
- Assist students in forming study groups beyond SI sessions
- Be flexible and hold extra sessions if necessary.
- Be a visible presence in the classroom.
- Publicize SI sessions and outreach to students.
- Meet with the instructor at least once per week.
Additional Requirements for Tutor:
- Be available for appointments and/or assigned small group sessions
- Communicate with staff about tutoring issues/schedules/outcomes
- Prepare for tutoring sessions as needed
- Promote tutoring sessions when possible (e.g. classroom announcement, flyers, tabling)
- Engage students in learning for the entire session.
- Integrate study skills in tutoring sessions to foster effective learning.
Additional Requirements for Study Skills Coach:
Deliver one-to-one customized study skills planning sessions for undergraduate students
- Stay current with evidence-based study skills
- Collaborate with program staff to optimize student success
- Participate in professional development activities/events
- Refer students to services within the Academic Success Center and across campus as necessary
- Maintain student confidentiality
- Participate in Academic Success Center events and activities
- Assist with marketing (such as social media and resource tables)
If you are interested in any of the positions, please consider submitting an application.
APPLY ONLINE: APPLY NOW
Recommendations are Optional.
Please share the Recommendation Guideline with your recommenders. Recommendations can be emailed directly to Christine Huang, firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about the Academic Success Center, please visit our website, (success.wayne.edu).