Become a Peer Leader (Tutor, SI Leader, Group Facilitator)
Please note that the positions below are limited to Undergraduate Students Only.
Requirements for All positions (Tutor and Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leader, Group Facilitator):
- Minimum Cumulative GPA of 3.5
- Must have earned a minimum of B+ in any supported course
- At least one semester of attendance in Wayne State University
- 2-semester commitment from the time of hire
- Demonstrate effective learning and study habits
- Familiar with campus resources
- Participate in a screening interview
- Initial two full-day Training
- Participate in mandatory training prior to the start of the position and continuous professional development meetings
- Initial Training Schedule: Typically on the week before the first week of classes
Additional Requirements for SI Leader:
- Attend all lecture sessions for the supported course.
- Hold weekly SI sessions and 1 office hour.
- Prepare material and activities for each session.
- Assist students in forming study groups beyond SI sessions
- Be flexible and hold extra sessions if necessary.
- Be a visible presence in the classroom.
- Publicize SI sessions and outreach to students.
- Meet with the instructor at least once per week.
Additional Requirements for Tutor:
- Be available for appointments and/or drop-in hours
- Communicate with staff about tutoring issues/schedules/outcomes
- Prepare for tutoring sessions as needed
- Promote tutoring sessions when possible (e.g. classroom announcement, flyers, tabling)
- Engage students in learning for the entire session.
- Integrate study skills in tutoring sessions to foster effective learning.
Additional Requirement for Group Facilitators:
- Participate in initial and ongoing training as scheduled.
- Be available consistently for the assigned day/time for the duration of the semester
- Involve all students in the group with collaborative learning strategies & study skills.
- Prepare for group sessions as needed
If you are interested in any of the positions, please consider submitting an application.
APPLY ONLINE: APPLY NOW
Please share the Recommendation Guideline with your recommenders. Recommendations can be emailed directly to the coordinator, Christine Huang, firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about the Academic Success Center, please visit our website, (success.wayne.edu).