What is Supplemental Instruction (SI)?
Supplemental Instruction (SI) is a FREE series of group study sessions led by a SI leader. These sessions are prepared to strengthen students' learning and study strategies through reviewing course materials. Attending SI sessions early in the semester and consistently (weekly) can help with the following:
- Sustain the strong work ethic with built-in study time for your classes
- Reinforce your learning from lecture
- Master the course material by making connections of concepts accurately
- Develop effective study skills for your classes
- Motivate to succeed with your peers
Who are the SI Leaders?
SI leaders are successful undergraduate students who have taken the course they are supporting and performed strongly. They are recommended by faculty members and trained by the ASC. The SI leader attends the lecture for the class s/he supports and†holds 3-5 SI sessions per week. Frequent announcements take place in lecture to keep you informed about SI session updates. See SI session schedule.
What is the goal of Supplemental Instruction
SI is intended to help students become independent learners. If you attend SI, you can expect to learn new study skills, as well as sharpen your existing skills for your future classes. SI leaders are successful students and role models for effective study habits, and will guide you in developing study strategies, problem-solving skills, and organizational skills.
What happens in SI?
In your SI sessions, you'll:
- Go over difficult and important concepts
- Learn by collaborating with your classmates
- Learn study skills and strategies to help you throughout college
- Practice problems and drill material
- Prepare for exams†by reviewing concepts and practice materials
- Develop effective study guides for your studying
- Find answers to your questions
- Have fun and meet new people!
What courses are supported by Supplemental Instruction?
SI supports 1000 and 2000 level courses with high enrollment numbers (~250 students+). Check here for the most up-to-date schedule of SI sessions and SI support!
Any questions/concerns/suggestions/comments, please contact:
Coordinator for Peer Assisted Learning (Supplemental Instruction, Tutoring, & Course Study Group):
Christine Huang, (313) 577-9182 firstname.lastname@example.org