Tutoring Program F.A.Q.
ASC Tutoring Program F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
1. How long are tutoring sessions?
Sessions are scheduled for 55 minutes. While it is listed as 1 hour for scheduling purposes on the website, the five minutes is a grace period to allow the Tutor to prepare for the next session. Please respect the time limit so that other students may benefit.
2. What if I'm late for my appointment?
Students are allowed a 15-minute grace period. After 15-minutes, the appointment is assumed to be a no show, and will be marked as such on the student's record.
3. How many sessions can I schedule per day?
One tutoring sessions can be scheduled per day.
4. What classes are available for tutoring?
The ASC Tutoring Program provides support for a variety of courses, with an emphasis on courses that are below 1000-level, 1000-level, and 2000-level.
5. Why isn't [insert course name] available?
The ASC depends on student assistants (Tutors) to provide course support. Staffing changes influences the courses available for support.
6. Can you hire someone to support [insert course name] this semester?
Only courses listed on the schedule for the current semester are supported. Because of a variety of reasons, course support is highly unlikely to change within a given semester.
7. Why don't you have more Tutors or times available for [insert course name]?
The ASC Tutoring Program attempts to provide a variety of days and times of support for courses listed. Our Tutors are also Wayne State University students. The schedule reflects the best combination of availability from the best personnel possible.
8. When does tutoring begin?
Tutoring usually begins at the start of the second week of each semester.
9. When is the last day of tutoring?
Tutoring ends on the last day of classes for each semester as listed on the university calendar
10. Why is there no tutoring during Spring Break or Final Exams?
Our Tutors are also Wayne State University students, with a wide range of responsibilities beyond being a tutor. They must also prepare for their midterms and final exams, and they also deserve time off from work to relax. While most Tutors will not work (and are not required to work) during these times, you are welcome to inquire with a staff for potential availability during this time.
11. Who can use tutoring services?
ASC Tutoring is only for current registered Wayne State University students.
12. Can you recommend another tutoring service?
We cannot make recommendations for other tutorial services unaffiliated with Wayne State University. We cannot schedule personal/private tutoring appointments outside of our office or services.
13. Are there other places on campus for tutoring or course assistance?
Other campus resources providing academic assistance are available. Each link will open a new window.
14. How do I schedule a tutoring appointment?
Please read this document
for directions on scheduling an appointment with an ASC Tutor.
15. Is walk-in tutoring available?
Beginning January 24, 2011, all tutoring services at the Academic Success Center will be offered through appointments only. There will be no walk-in tutoring, except during specifically announced dates/times. (NOTE: This means there are no provisions for same-day appointments. Please plan accordingly.)
16. How far in advance can I schedule an appointment?
Appointments can be made up one (1) week in advance, but no sooner than one day (24 hours) in advance. (NOTE: This means there are no provisions for same-day appointments. Please plan accordingly.)
17. Do I have to meet with the same Tutor each week?
No, you do not have to meet with the same tutor. Consult the appointment tutoring schedule for available tutors and courses supported.
18. What is the cancellation policy?
Tutoring appointments can be cancelled before 24 hours of the appointment with no penalty.
Students will be penalized for cancelling without at least 24 hours notice and/or not showing up at all for an appointment.
1. After the first late cancellation/missed appointment, the student will be issued a warning.
2. After the second late cancellation/missed appointment, the student will not be allowed to receive tutoring for 2 weeks. Any appointments scheduled after the late cancellation/missed appointment will be administratively cancelled. After 2 weeks, the student will be able to schedule appointments again.
3. If the student cancels without 24 hours or misses a third appointment after being reinstated, the student will be banned from receiving tutoring for the remainder of the semester.
19. I tried to schedule an appointment, and it came up as "unavailable"? What does this mean?
"Unavailable" can mean one of two things:
1. The session is unavailable, because another student has scheduled that slot.
2. The Tutor is unavailable to tutor, due to a scheduled absence.
20. I tried to schedule an appointment and the message "You Have Been Blocked From Making Tutoring Appointments" appeared on the screen. What is this?
This message means you are blocked from making any tutoring appointments.
This happens after two missed appointments, two late cancelled appointments (appointments cancelled without 24-hour notice), or one missed and one late cancelled appointment.
Blocking occurs in two stages. The first block is temporary for two weeks. Any pending appointments you have scheduled will be cancelled. The block is removed after two weeks, and you can resume scheduling appointments.
If you miss or late cancel another appointment after being blocked once, the second block is permanent for the duration of that semester. Any pending appointments you have scheduled will be cancelled.
21. How do I cancel an appointment?
There is a button, "View My Appointments" on the Appointment Tutoring Schedule page. Clicking on this button, and then logging in with your Access ID and password will allow you to view all upcoming appointments and cancel them, if necessary.