Supplemental Instruction Leader & Tutor Job Description
Please note that the positions below are limited to Undergraduate Students Only.
Requirements for BOTH positions (Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leader and Tutor):
- Minimum Cumulative GPA of 3.5
- Must have earned a minimum of B+ in any supported course
- 2 semesters of attendance in Wayne State University
- Committed to supporting courses in the 1000, 2000 level
- Demonstrate effective learning and study habits
- Familiar with campus resources
- Participate in mandatory training prior to the start of the position and continuous professional development meetings
- Participate in screening interview
- Initial two full day Training
- Fall semester: Monday and Tuesday before the first day of classes
- Winter Semester: Thursday and Friday before the first day of classes
Additional Requirements for SI Leader:
- Attend all lecture sessions for the supported course.
- Hold a minimum of 3- SI sessions per week and 1 office hours.
- Prepare material and activities for each session.
- Assist students in forming study groups beyond SI sessions
- Be flexible and hold extra sessions if necessary.
- Be a visible presence in the classroom.
- Publicize SI sessions and outreach to students.
- Meet with the instructor at least once per week.
Additional Requirements for Tutor:
- Be available for appointments and/or walk-in hours
- Communicate with staff about tutoring issues/schedules/outcomes
- Prepare for tutoring sessions as necessary
- Promote tutoring sessions when possible (e.g. classroom announcement, flyers, tabling)
- Engage students in learning for the entire sessions.
- Integrate study skills in tutoring sessions to foster effective learning
If you are interested in any or both of the positions, please consider submitting an application.
APPLY ONLINE: APPLY NOW
Any questions, please contact the coordinator.
To learn more about the Academic Success Center, please visit our website, (success.wayne.edu).